Friday, February 25, 2011

Sermon #7

I want to introduce you to someone. This is Seth.

[Hello]

I’m sure that seems a little insane, but Seth is always around when I’m typing out my posts (and he is typing this). No, Seth isn’t an invisible friend, he’s the owner of the computer I’m using. My home doesn’t have the internet, or electricity. Seth lets me use his computer and charge my cellphone at regular intervals through an arrangement we have.

I fish. It’s not a hobby, it’s what I do. Seth is kind enough to let me use his computer for a little while when I’m able. It was his idea to post some of my ramblings. I usually just come over to use his shower, but he convinced me that I should get a cellphone, then to write down some of my thoughts.

When I ran this by those it may concern, most were not keen on the idea. They reminded me I could not use electronics on Fridays, and they demanded I only post on odd numbered days. Seth thought it would be a better idea if I just give him something to put online for odd Fridays, because even he couldn’t wait until Sunday.

Hopefully he writes all of this for me [I did], because I won’t be writing anything about Yawa’s origins. [damnit]

I want to explain something about the gods. They subsist on us. It’s a sad truth, and it’s one which nearly drove me mad. It’s pretty much universal, too.

Babies, saints, soldiers who die heroically in battle, people who perish in their lovers’ arms, leaders, celebrities, fathers of three, mothers with child, one and all are mercilessly cut down, consumed, and destroyed.

I lie. Not everyone, but everyone enough. The hope is so minute as to not even be worth mentioning. Sometimes the gods bestow the gift of immortality to people, but it is ridiculously arbitrary. It depends on their mood, and each of them has ascended people for totally different reasons. And yet, they have done so for few people. They haven’t even bothered in decades.

I have been assured through oracles that I won’t become a god. I have come to terms with this. I can’t help any of you, because knowing any of this provides nothing but the time to prepare yourself.

Maybe it’s safer to believe you’ll be entering heaven, though it is safer to say that you’ll become one with a god. But you will lose anything resembling you. The greatest truth I can provide for you is this: that which is you is finite. The Buddha was close when he told us “We are nothing.” We are something, for a little while, but ultimately, he is right on an endless timeline. Even the gods will fade away, so winning the divine lottery is still not an eternal reward.

I wouldn’t bother to tell you any of this, but Seth asked me to share it with the world. [I wanted more of the story]

Until next time…

[I may make my own account in order to post my own thoughts here and to relay some of the things Fred has told me over the few months I’ve known him]

1 comment: